Responding to Voices: Compassionate approaches and hopeful alternatives
This online workshop is an introduction to the Hearing Voices Approach, a recovery model that aims to provide tools to assist people to alleviate the distress associated with voices.
Responding to Voices: Compassionate approaches and hopeful alternatives is an introductory course perfect for anyone new to the Hearing Voices Approach and would like to explore ideas beyond the biomedical model of human experience.
Our experienced trainers cover topics including, exploring diversity of voices, strategies for responding to distress, changing the power imbalance and collaborative work in the mental health sector.
This course is presented by two trainers. A safe and trauma-informed care learning environment is created to support participants.
- Understand the hearing voices approach and the benefits of peer support
- Consider alternative frameworks and preferred language to describe human experience
- Explore the diversity, meaning and intentions of voices, visions and beliefs experienced by people
- Discover voices and visions in context and make links to relational, social, cultural, spiritual, historical and political experiences
- Learn creative, compassionate, and collaborative strategies for responding to distress, confusion, and intensity
- Discuss ideas for changing the power imbalance and our relationship to controlling voices and disruptive experiences
- Discuss ideas for sustainable and collaborative work in the mental health sector
Who is this for?
- People with direct experience
- People who provide support, including family, friends, peer workers and clinicians
“What I want to see is a healthy society, what I want to see is social justice and a world of acceptance where diversity is embraced and celebrated,” Debra Lampshire, Experience-based expert, Professional teaching fellow, University of Auckland, Chair of ISPS New Zealand.
This course, and all of Mental Health Coordinating Council’s professional development training, can be tailor-made to your workforce and delivered at your workplace. Contact us to find out more email@example.com