Responding to the Risk of Suicide
This course teaches participants simple, effective interventions and skills that can save lives and provide support to people at risk of suicide.
Suicide is the leading cause of death for Australians between the ages of 15 and 44 years. The impact of suicide has a devastating impact on families, friends and whole communities.
You can make a profound difference in the life of someone else, by learning how to reach out effectively and confidently to people at risk of suicide.
This is a fully funded course.
- Reduce immediate risk of suicide and increase safety Identify risk and protective factors, warning signs and points of change and explore ambivalence
- Develop collaborative care plans and understand how best to manage people at risk of suicide
- Recognise the limits of the workers’ role, when and how to refer to specialist assistance or facilitate links to further care
- Ensure information related to suicidality is communicated effectively in the workplace and how to conduct a risk assessment
- Stay healthy as a worker – ensure self-care and access to support services
Who is this for?
This two-day course is for anyone who supports someone at risk of suicide, including frontline mental health support workers, carers, family, friends and supporters.
Managers and team leaders are encouraged to attend this course to enhance their understanding of practice issues, and to support service outcomes.
For an additional cost of $250, participants can complete the corresponding assessment for this course as a recognised unit of study (CHCCS003 Increase the safety of individuals at risk of suicide) towards the completion of Certificate IV in Mental Health.
“I learnt how to act and assist a person with suicidal thoughts, how to be comfortable asking direct and closed questions, to create a safety plan and to acknowledge the person’s pain.” – Course participant
All of our professional development training can be delivered on site at your organisation. Alternatively, we can tailor a course to suit your specific requirements. Contact us to find out more email@example.com