Research Articles and Papers
Some of the documents listed below are copyrighted material and the intellectual property of individuals (as named). Likewise, some intellectual property is owned by organisations (clearly indicated) and other material is in the public domain.
Except where material which is unambiguously and unarguably in the public domain, MHCC seeks copyright exemption for purposes of legitimate private study, research, criticism or review as permitted under copyright legislation.
If you are the holder of copyright to any material contained here and have concerns, please contact MHCC at email@example.com
When you access the information from this website, you agree to retrieve, download or print documents for your personal use for study or research only.
Please note: MHCC has developed a policy resource – Integration of a Trauma Informed Care and Practice Approach.
This is available below, as well as in MHCC Organisational Builder (MOB) Policy Resource, which is an extensive recovery orientated policy resource which Community Managed Organisations (CMOs) and others will find useful for policy development and review, and in other quality improvement activities.
Check back for updates
- MHCC Policy Template, MOB Policy Resource - Integration of a Trauma Informed Care and Practice Approach
- Anrows Landscapes, September 2015, Implementing trauma-informed systems of care in health settings: the WITH study, State of Knowledge paper.
- National Technical Assistance Center, 2015, Creating Violence Free and Coercion Free Mental Health Treatment Environments for the Reduction of Seclusion and Restraint, SIX CORE STRATEGIES TO REDUCE THE USE OF SECLUSION AND RESTRAINT PLANNING TOOL
- Wichita State University Website, 2015, Trauma-Informed Systems of Care: resources
- Mental Health Coordinating Council 2013, "Trauma-Informed Care and Practice: Towards a cultural shift in policy reform across mental health and human services in Australia - a national strategic direction", Bateman, J and Henderson C (MHCC) & Kezelman, C, Adults Surviving Child Abuse (ASCA) 2013, MHCC: NSW Australia.
- Atkinson J - (2013) Trauma-informed services and trauma-specific care for Indigenous Australian children
- Brent. David A, MD; Silverstein. Michael, MD, MPH. (2013) Shedding Light on the Long Shadow of Childhood Adversity. American Medical Association
- Muskett. C. (2013) Trauma-informed care in inpatient mental health settings: A review of the literature. Department of Health and Human Services, State-Wide and Mental Health Services, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- Bennett-Murphy, Laura M. (2012) Haunted: Treatment of a Child Survivor of Human Trafficking, Journal of Infant, Child, and Adolescent Psychotherapy 11:2, 133-148
- Kezelman C & Henderson C (2011) Trauma-Informed Care & Practice -Using a wide angle lens
- Kluft (2011) Ramifications of Incest
- AIFS-Clark-Quadara (2010) Insight Into Sexual Assault Perpetration
- Hopper, E. K., Bassuk, E. L., & Olivet, J. (2010) Shelter from the Storm: Trauma-Informed Care in Homelessness Services Settings. The Open Health Services and Policy Journal 3, 80-100
- Kunst-Winkel-Bogaerts (2010) Creating Trauma-Informed Systems: Child Welfare, Education, First Responders, Health Care, Juvenile Justice Victims of Violence Applying for State Compensation
- SAMSHA. (2009) National Center for Family Homelessness: Trauma Informed Organisational Toolkit
- Steele (2009) Trauma-Informed Care A History of Helping: A History of Excellence Lessons Learned Since 1990
- Covington (2008) Women and Addiction: a Trauma-Informed Approach
- Berkowitz et al-Ford-Ko (2008) Creating Trauma-Informed Systems: Child Welfare, Education, First Responders, Health Care, Juvenile Justice
- Harper, Stalker, Palmer, Gadbois (2008) Adults traumatized by child abuse: What survivors need from community-based mental health professionals
- Taylor-Sharpe (2008) Trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder among homeless adults in Sydney
- Amaro, Chernoff (2007) Does Integrated Trauma-Informed Substance Abuse Treatment Increase Treatment Retention?
- Chernoff, Brown, Arevalo, Gatz (2007) Does Integrated Trauma-Informed Substance Abuse Treatment Increase Treatment Retention?
- Gatz, Brown et al (2007) Effectiveness of an Integrated,Trauma-Informed Approach to Treating Women with Co-Occurring Disorders and Histories of Trauma: The Los Angeles Site Experience
- Gatz, Brounstein, Noether (2007) Findings from a National Evaluation of Services to Improve Outcomes for Women with Co-Occurring Disorders and a History of Trauma
- Toussaint, VanDeMark, Bornemann, Graeber (2007) Modifications to the Trauma Recovery and Empowerment Model (TREM) for Substance-Abusing Women with Histories of Violence: Outcomes and Lessons Learned at a Colorado Substance Abuse Treatment Center
- Weissbecker, Clark (2007) The Impact of Violence and Abuse on Women's Physical Health: Can Trauma-Informed Treatment Make a Difference?
- Everett. M. (for MHCC) March 2014. Presentation to the Program Council NSW,Trauma-Informed Care & Practice
- Henderson. C. MHCC - Public Guardian Staff Day, April 2014. "Trauma and the Mental Health Workforce: A safe place to work. A safe place to recover"
- Henderson. C. MHCC - TheMHS Summer Forum, Sydney, 20 - 21 February 2014. Trauma and the Mental Health Workforce. "Your trauma - my trauma: creating trauma-informed working environments"
- Henderson, C (2013) Mental Health Coordinating Council, Trauma-Informed Care & Practice Forum, MHCC, ASCA & the NSW Mental Health Commission, Sydney November 2013 - "Trauma-Informed Care & Practice: A National Strategic Direction"
- Kezelman, C (2013) Adults Surviving Child Abuse, Trauma-Informed Care & Practice Forum, MHCC, ASCA & the NSW Mental Health Commission, Sydney November 2013 - "Putting trauma into perspective" & "Life journeys and trauma: difference being trauma-informed could make"
- Kim, I (2013) Royal Prince Alfred, Missenden Unit, Trauma-Informed Care & Practice Forum, MHCC, ASCA & the NSW Mental Health Commission, Sydney November 2013 - "Trauma-Informed Care & Practice in Inpatient Mental Health"
- Lucas, J (2013)Wesley Mission, Trauma-Informed Care & Practice Forum, MHCC, ASCA & the NSW Mental Health Commission, Sydney November 2013 - "A Journey"
- Henderson. C (2013) MHCC Presentation Lighthouse Foundation, Journey to Recovery, Melbourne Aug 2013 - Trauma-Informed Care and Practice: towards a cultural shift in policy reform across mental health and human services in Australia - a national strategic direction
- Mental Health Professionals Network (MHPN) Webinar (2013) Interdisciplinary Panel Discussion
- A Collaborative Approach to supporting adult survivors of childhood abuse.
- Kezelman C; Benstead U; Middleton W (2011) Mental Health Professionals Network (MHPN) Webinar Complex Trauma, working together, working better to support adult survivors of childhood abuse
- Kezelman C & Henderson C (2011) MHCC & ASCA co-presentation THEMHS Trauma Informed Care & Practice: Using a wide angle lens
- Dillon J (2011) Abuse, Trauma, and Dissociation Understanding and Working Towards Recovery
- Gillece J (2011) Creating Trauma Informed Systems of Care for Human Service Settings An Overview of Fundamental Concepts
- Kiser; Connors; Vaughn-Lee (2011) Maryland Moves To Trauma Informed Care: Be Part of It
- Martin (2011) Trauma-Informed Treatment of Forensic Clientele
- NCTIC (2011) Revolutionizing Mental Health and Human Services
- SAMSHA Jennings; Fallot; Cave (2010) The Impact of Trauma on Wellness: Implications for Comprehensive Systems Change
- Risser (2008) Trauma-Informed Care