Working with Voices
Professional Development Series
Do you support people who experience voice-hearing?
This immersive one day workshop equips participants with a toolkit for supporting voice-hearers. It is suitable for front-line staff working in the mental health, community, AOD, social service and voluntary sectors.
Using MP3 technology (supplied), participants will begin to understand what it is like to navigate the world with a psychiatric disability. This is created through a simulated experience of hearing voices that are distressing.
Workshop activities include performing everyday tasks in the community, participation in a simulated treatment program, undertaking a 'mental status exam', and taking a test at the 'psychological testing centre', all whilst 'hearing voices'.
Group discussion and reflection helps participants to process their experience and transfer learnings into the work environment.
If you are interested in enrolling for this course, please submit an enquiry here.
Who is this for?
- Mental health workers
- Community sector workers
- Any workers supporting people who are voice-hearers
Professional Development Course Fee
What others have said about this course
"An original, refreshing, consumer led day that was filled with insight, humour and lived experience. Arana is a fantastic presenter with energy and knowledge."
Click the following for more information
This qualification requires attendance at 1 full-day face-to-face training session.*
Statement of Participation
A statement of participation will be granted upon satisfactory attendance of the required training sessions.
*Subject to change. Training requirements will be confirmed upon enrolment.
- Gain a better understanding of the challenges that people with a psychiatric disability face.
- Respond sensitively to individuals' experiences of their voices.
- Voice profiling - Identify the difference between voices that are distressing and other voices.
- Establish a safe, respectful environment to promote open communication.
- Work within a person's belief systems.
- Support people to develop coping strategies.
Units of Competency
This course has no accredited units of competency.