Who We Are
The Mental Health Coordinating Council (MHCC) is the peak body for community mental health organisations in New South Wales.
- Good mental health is about the whole person; their psychological, physical, emotional and spiritual needs
- Service user input is central to the promotion of mental health and the delivery and management of services
- Communities need to provide a range of mental health services designed to meet local needs
- An across government approach to mental health promotion and service delivery is required.
MHCC's Ordinary Members are not-for-profit Non-Government or Community Managed Organisations (CMOs) whose business or activity is wholly or in part, related to the promotion or delivery of services for the wellbeing and recovery of people with mental health problems and organisations that support carers and families of people with a mental health problem.
Associate Membership includes: Area Health Services, Legal or medical organisations, Disability, Housing , Employment and education services. Associate Members have an interest in mental health education, promotion and recovery oriented service delivery.
Individuals not representing a specific organisation may become subscription members.
What we do
- Advocate for policy development and legislative reform;
- Represent the views of our sector to government and the broader human services sector through consultation with consumers, carers, and other stakeholders;
- Build sector capacity through partnerships, collaboration, and workforce development;
- Inform the sector on strategic directions in community mental health;
- Research, publish and report on current directions in community mental health and related areas;
- Provide high quality, accredited training in recovery oriented and trauma informed practice;
- Support and nurture its member organisations to deliver recovery oriented services in collaboration with consumers, carers, other organisations and the community.
MHCC achieves this by:
The organisation regularly consults with all sectors in order to respond to legislative reform and sits on numerous National, State (NSW) and State Government Department (NSW) committees and boards in order to affect systemic change. We also facilitate various consultations with our members in order to respond to various issues. More about MHCC Consultations.
MHCC is currently accredited under Australian Council on Heathcare Standards (ACHS).
ACHS is an independent, not-for-profit organisation, dedicated to improving the quality of health care in Australia through continual review of performance, assessment and accreditation.